Company overview"Open Standards and Open Minds"
Many years of experience
Aduna, founded in 1997, is an experienced software developer and implementation partner. The company, strongly inspired by the Semantic Web vision of Tim Berners-Lee, has many years of experience. We supported the growth and adoption of the field by initiating and driving the Sesame project, one of the popular RDF triple stores.more...
+ Semantic Web
"The Semantic Web is a web of data. There is a lot of data we all use every day, and its not part of the web. I can see my bank statements on the web, and my photographs, and I can see my appointments in a calendar. But can I see my photos in a calendar to see what I was doing when I took them? Can I see bank statement lines in a calendar? Why not? Because we don't have a web of data. Because data is controlled by applications, and each application keeps it to itself. The Semantic Web is about two things. It is about common formats for interchange of data, where on the original Web we only had interchange of documents. Also it is about language for recording how the data relates to real world objects. That allows a person, or a machine, to start off in one database, and then move through an unending set of databases which are connected not by wires but by being about the same thing." -- W3C Semantic Web Activity homepage
Aduna today: helping your business
Today Aduna powers a growing number of initiatives by creating new technologies for feature-rich interaction and semantic data integration. Aduna's role in these initiatives is the provider of technology. We cooperate with a growing number of companies, organisations and developers in the world. At the moment Aduna's main activity areas are: Digital forensic investigation & e-Discovery, Enterprise Search, Open source projects Sesame and Aperturemore...
Main activity areas
- Digital forensic & e-discovery: In the joint venture Vound Aduna develops, markets and sells Intella, a tool for digital forensics and e-discovery.
- Open source projects Sesame and Aperture: Sesame is one of the popular RDF storage frameworks. For more information see the Sesame website. Together with the German DFKI, Aduna initiated the open source project Aperture, a Java-based extraction framework. More information here.
The heart of the company is formed by IT professionals with a long track record in the business. They have worked together for more than a decade. Aduna is a well networked company:
- W3C: Aduna staff members worked on new W3C data and query standards, for example OWL and SPARQL.
- Academia: Aduna has strong ties with the academic community. Frank van Harmelen is on the scientific board of the company.
- EU research projects: Aduna participated in several EU-funded research projects. The OnToKnowledge project ignited the development of Sesame.